Tuesday, May 1, 2007

Syn 3 or not Syn 3

So what is Syn3? It is Harley Davidson's Screamin Eagle synthetic motorcycle lubricant. This is a full sythetic lubricant that can be used in all three cavities of Harley Davidson motorcycles. So, is Syn3 for you? Well, let's look at some of the key benefits of Syn3. Like I had mentioned before you can use it in the engine, primary chaincase, and the transmission. This gives the consumer the convenience of a muti-use product that will lessen the chance of mixing incompatible lubricants or filling a cavity with the wrong product. Another benefit of Syn3 over Harley's HD360 motorcycle oil is it's improved film strength for better wear protection, improved deposit control and overall performance.

So with this information you may be asking yourself, is Syn3 going to replace Harley's HD360 oil? Syn3 is not ment to replace HD360 but for Harley-Davidson to give consumers an alternative product. So, if you are the average Joe that keeps his or her motorcyle stock or maybe doesn't ride in hot climate applications HD360 oil may be fine for you. But, if you like your motorcycles bored out and like lots of horsepower and torque you may consider Syn3 as an alternative lubricant product that will keep those engines running smoothly.

Will Syn3 lengthen my service intervals? The answer is no. Harley-Davidson recommends that you still follow the proper service schedule found in your owner's manual. Although Syn3 is a high performance lubricant you still need to follow the regular service intervals so optimum performance is maintained for your motorcycle.

Another cool thing about Syn3 is that can put it in your new Harley without voiding your warranty. Syn3 is approved by Harley-Davidson for use in all stages of engine life and is not detrimental to the engine break-in cycle. If switching to Syn3 it is recommended to completely drain all cavaties that are going to be filled. Syn3 is not to be mixed with other lubricant products.

Not all of Harley Davidson powertrains can use Syn3. The only powertrains Syn3 should be used in is the Evolution XL, Evolution 1340, Twin Cam 88, Twin Cam 96(all displacements), Revolution and all Buell models. All other powertrains are not recommended to use Syn3 because Harley-Davidson did not test Syn3 in these engine configuration.

Another difference between Syn3 and Hd360 is price. Your looking at a four dollar per quart price difference between the two. Syn3 retails at $9.95 per quart, where as HD360 oil retails at $5.95 per quart.

Please feel free to leave your comments and questions.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tom, Nice Job! S

Unknown said...

Hi Tom
thanks very much for does useful information. I'm a online "Adventure" customer from Switzerland and would like to tell you that I was looking for a blog like this for a long time.
Great job.
Thank you, Roger

harley-news.ch

Unknown said...

Hi Tom
great Blog. Very useful and as "non professional" tech understandable. I'm a online "adventure" customer and look forward to read more interesting articles here.

Cheers, Roger

harley-news.ch

Anonymous said...

I have been using synthetic lubricants in all of my vehicles. cars,trucks,tractors,my 92 FLT,etc. Once the break in threshold has been achieved, all sumps and gear cases are changed over to syn. I have used two manufacturers in particular, and would be curious to see a side by side comparison done to see which line is superior for my Harley. Has anything been tested like this? If so, where can I view the test results? (I'll be watching this blog for answers) Thanks!

Tom Leatherman said...

Thanks to everyone for the great comments. I hope for this to be the beginning of something that will be informative and fun for all the readers. I will try my best to give you the best information and present it to you in a way that is not super technical. I am planning on there being new videos and blogs every couple of weeks. I will be covering topics that will help you as Harley owners or motorcycle owners in general keep your vehicles in the best condition possible. If you have any topics that you would like to see covered in these videos or blogs please let me know.

Tom

Tom Leatherman said...

As far as test that have been run using a variaty of different synthetic oils in Harley Davidson powertrains. I know Harley has bench tested only the Syn3. I'm sure there is an independent organization out there that conducted some kind of test like that but I haven't seen one. I will try to do some more research for you on this. AMSoil is a synthetic motorcycle oil that has done some testing between the different synthetic oils. You might want to check it out on the web.

Tom

Anonymous said...

Hi Tom,
Thanks for all the useful imformation I think this blog is great . I put Syn3 in my 2005 FXDL after my first service and it has run great with no problems at all, but it cost me 15 dollers a quart. (Pyondteak, South Korea)